Sunday 23 January 2011

Health, Safety and Legal Considerations

Professional landscape photographers have to consider health and safety at all times. When out in the field  they guard their own personal safety ie. when in mountain terrain they would ensure they have relevant warm and waterproof clothing for the climate, tent equipment for staying over if necessary, enough food/drink to see them through the shoot, plus all necessary adequate camera protective equipment to also ensure the camera's safety.   They would do their homework to ensure weather conditions would not be too hazardous, or as near as they could to check mother nature. They ensure they have all the relevant camera equipment with them. ie fully charged batteries, spare memory, tripod... etc, for they would not want to have travelled for days to the top of a mountain to found they haven't got their shutter release button with them.  Therefore pre- shoot planning is very important.

Similarly I have considered where I was going to shoot my images and at what time, weather conditions (not staying out too long in the cold snowy days,  avoiding heaving rain with the camera equipment), the fact that I would be alone and not straying too far, especially in darkness.  I have thought about trying to not walk too far from my car when carrying alot of equipment ie.when taking the tripod out. When I purchased the tripod, weight was a major consideration from a health a safety point of view, I did not want to do my back any injury.   At night time when I went out at 12pm to capture moon shots I ensured I was only a couple of paces from my car door and kept a constant look out for passers by.  I have worn trainers and warm layers throughout the snowy period and did not take my tripod out for these occasions,  to ensure camera safety, in case the tripod wasn't sturdy enough on slippery terrain.  When I went out to shoot on a rainy day where I knew it may be muddy, I took wellies in the car with me, which I changed into on reaching muddy paths.   I always kept the camera strap round my neck and took my time walking carefully supporting it with my hand. When not in use, when walking further, I would put it back in the  camera bag which besides having a shoulder strap, also is hand held.  This was chosen specially so that I could carry my camera hand help in one hand , whilst my tripod case (containing tripod) over the opposite shoulder, to balance out my body weight.  I also ensured the camera bag I purchased had a protective covering attachment built inside, in case I got caught out in heavy rain, giving the camera extra protection...I would not want a soaking bag that could effect the camera inside.

Legal implications:-
I have used all my own images so I don't have to worry about copyright.  I have displayed professional photographers' images in my blog for student research purposes only and have labelled them, 'taken by... ( relevant photographers name).

No comments:

Post a Comment