Wednesday 1 December 2010

Tripod Field Trips and Preparation

 My preparation, prior to first Tripod field trip:
  I had prepared by surveying  the location, on a previous trip, with camera only (as described in a previous blog) on foot, and at that time deciding where I would return to, to use more equipment... I had noted where I would park, in order that I would not be walking too far from the car carrying lots of equipment,  because of the weight, and from a security point of view, going out alone.

 At home I had assembled the tripod and placed the camera on top, so that I would know how to assemble it properly and to give me some idea of its height levels, whilst looking through the viewfinder of the camera. I left the little part of the tripod that attaches to the underneath of the camera (it may be called a bridge, not sure), attached to the camera.  In previous weeks and since starting the college course I had browsed photographic magazines looking for tips on how to use different equipment when taking landscape pictures. During this course we have learned about different  types of lenses and filters available for cameras (see 'Lenses and Filters' blog).

Then, same day preparation for Tripod field trip:
 I took a Cannon EOS 5D Mark II camera with installed battery, and a L series 24-105mm Lens, (my lens has a UV filter which I keep permanently attached for protection), a tripod, a new SanDisk Ultra CompactFlash card 8GB, 30MB/s,  a ND graduating filter, filter holder, and shutter release attachment in my camera bag together with a plastic bag.   I also carried a near full Extreme CompactFlash card 8GB, 60MB/s and a lens cleaning cloth, just in case.
On reaching my destination it wasn't long before I located a dead tree which I had thought worthy of some picture time.

There was a handy bench nearby where I placed the camera bag whilst I took the tripod out its holder and began assembly, ie stretching its legs out and locking them in place at each of its 6 locking positions. I was on a hill so it was fun trying to get the legs steady in accordance with the 2 spirit level indicators on the tripod. (The spirit levels would help the horizon be straight in my images).  When I was happy, taking the camera from its bag, I attached it on top of the tripod, releasing the clip and locking it in place by 'the bridge' attachment. I attached the shutter release chord to the camera and removed the cap off the lens.

I could now experiment looking through the viewfinder, using the camera controls, to achieve the view and composition I liked and reseting the tripod legs individually where necessary. The tripod has a long handle on it so I could turn its head around and up and down at ease, though I found while I liked this aspect, it can also get in the way sometimes.  After taking some images in Program and Aperture Priority modes I also experimented with exposure level compensation in Manual mode just to see the difference. Though I may have adjusted this the wrong way, Im not sure.

Next I tried to take images using an ND filter to see its affect on the bright sky:  I fastened the filter attachment to the front of the camera and put the filter inside it in the middle section.  I played with the movement of the filter while I took some images, looking at the display momentarily, after taking an image, to give me some idea of how they were turning out. I had learned alittle of the effects this type of filter can have on images, and how there may be some distortion at the edges of the image, so I needed to play around with it, and maybe crop in later.

Picking up the tripod by its handle whilst making sure the camera was still steady on top, I would move to different positions to take more images, again after adjusting the tripod feet and camera controls. When I wanted to test the tripod at its lowest height, I removed the camera from the top, placed it in its bag, then lowered the tripod legs so small that I would need to scramble on the floor with my knees to be low enough for the angle, and this is when I used the plastic bag, to kneel on. I placed the camera on top at this low level to take more images.

After some time  I moved onto another tree position (a live one this time) to take shots without the use of the filter and its holder.

Before I had set out I had thought I would probably go to this location for approximately one to one and half hours initially. After 3 hours I packed up and went home.

I was eager to have another attempt at a second tripod field trip and later that same week returned to the same location with the same kit (minus the filter, filter holder and plastic bag).  I parked at a different spot to take different views, at standing level only.

I viewed both lots of  images later on the computer for closer inspection and these 2 were my best, in my opinion.  I had taken both on my first visit, one using the ND filter and one without:

                                                                           Alive
                                                     Shutter 1/250 Aperture 11 iso 200

To me this tree looked alive as it lifts its hat to show its hair to the sun,  looking up to the heavens with arms outstretched to the oncoming cloud. I can almost see its eyes and nose from the side. A minimal amount of colour works well I feel and I like the way its reddish head also reflects in small arm parts. Abstract like with a statue pose shows shape and texture. I am pleased with it on the whole. It was taken with a tripod as stated above, without the filter.


                                                          Shutter 1/160 aperture 8 iso 200

This is a full image shot using the tripod and a graduated ND (neutral density) filter showing more colour and contrast. I know it should not be aperant that a filter has been used and you can obviously see it here, but I liked the arched top colours effect, and the way the ground branches reflect in its sky.  To me it appears more interesting, a different type of picture.  It  also shows more shadows however, though again this adds to making it a more moody.

What I learned:
Later on viewing the images I could see how a ND filter made a difference to the exposure and colour of an image. The filter holder I used (borrowed from a friend) was not the right size for my type of camera (not wide enough) and therefore the image showed the presence of the filter more at the edges.  I  would need to get my own, larger version, when I  bought a filter. I also learned  how I need to allow plenty of time when going out with the tripod/ more equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment