Sunday 19 December 2010

Manipulation- Images

Tonight I saw a nice full moon in the sky driving home and decided if it was still going to be visible when I  arrived home I would set the tripod up and try taking some more shots of it.  I did get some which I quite liked on viewing them, and one in particular gave me an idea for a manipulated image:



                                                                    Rolling Moon
                                                   shutter 1/15 aperture f4.0 iso 3200

To me it looked liked the moon had just rolled down the cloud from the right side, in this image and I thought what if I make some more moons roll down too.  Though the image is quite dark and subdued I liked it, the foreground trees were ok and gave it a frame, but I didn't like the little black circle to the far left of the image, (part of a twig) and set about removing that first:

I first dragged my image over the photoshop icon in the dock of the computer, then clicking on this icon photoshop opened and my image was ready in it to be amended:
 I choose to use the clone tool by clicking on the clone icon in the icons menu to the left of my screen, then I chose a brush from the top icon and selected a number big enough so that the amending circle that appeared was big enough to cover my black circle.  I moved into the image ( command +) to see the black circle easier, then pressed the Alt key and clicked near to it (to give me a similar  colour to cover it with). Then I let go of the Alt and aimed the amending circle over my black circle and started clicking away until it was removed.  Now I had this image:


Now I needed to clone the moon and present it more times up the cloud.  I used the same tecnique as before, taking the cloning tool, using a brush big enough to cover the moon (no 226) and also chose a soft round brush no 5 (again from the top brush box and menu that appears as you select).  I held the clone tool over the moon with the Alt key and placed it further up the cloud, let it go, then clicked onto it again which gave it the brightness.  I decided to add another 3 moons and placed them in little gaps in the cloud, not wanting it to be too straight, but random and tucked in to a spiked up cloud part, as though wedged, but not wedged in, just so that they didn't look too 'sat on top'.
 I think because of the soft brush I chose being so light,  I had to go over them more than once, to gain the brightness I wanted on each one, and because of this it gave a glow effect round the other moons, great I thought I like that;  it looks like they are glowing hot as they roll,  leaving the original one normal.  I was really pleased with the result as I considered it to be my first success with photoshop workings.  The end result is shown below:

                                                                         Moon Balls

Equipment used:
*Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera with battery
*L series Lens 24-105mm
*SanDisk Extreme CompactFlash card 8GB
*Tripod

No comments:

Post a Comment