Thursday 18 November 2010

Composition and images

Composition is deciding what to include and what not to include in the frame, when taking a photograph. It is the arrangement of many elements (as follows), all of which I hope to show throughout my images along the way:-

* Lines  *Shape  *Form  *Tone  * Colour  *Texture  *Pattern  *

More than one of the above elements ( most likely) will appear within the same image. The arrangement of  these elements is achieved by the photographers choice of ideas, position and camera set up when taking the shot and there are factors to be considered:-

Shooting angle - high/low/tilted/tripod. Taking below/above/eye level of  the subject.
Reflections  - in water/glass etc.
Light and shadows - the type of light (sun, lamp etc) the direction it comes from and way it falls onto the subject, the time of day and year.
Distance - standing close or away from the subject, foreground/background detail.
Lens control - zooming in or out, what to be in focus/out of focus. What type of lens/filter etc.

Also there are some basic rules of image capture to bear in mind:-

The Rule of  Thirds:
 If you imagine a 'noughts and crosses' matrix box in your viewfinder when looking to take a shot and place your subjects on the lines where they meet  ie. approx. one third up or down, and/or one third in from right or left edge, then that would be following this rule.

Lines to Guide the Eye:
Lines in an image can show perspective or lead the eye towards a chosen element/subject or conclusion ie. the lines of a road or path may lead the eye down to its end.

Frames within Frames:
As a frame surrounds a picture and focuses the eye inward, you can frame your subject with elements of the image to lead the eye inward more. ie taking a shot of a window frame to show the contents within.

Balance of Tone:
This is where dark and light areas of the image balance/ emphasise each other by selected placement ie. lots of light to bit of dark or visa versa.

So there is quite alot to consider with the composition of taking a photograph just as there is in a painting or drawing.
 We were set a task to produce 10 images, and use 3 or 4 of them  to show several elements of compostion:-


Trunk Body

This is a cropped image (see original below) of a trees trunk for a close composition showing a foreground in focus and background out of focus; to highlight, texture, shape, form and balance of tone.

shutter 1/125 aperture 4.00 iso 640

This was my original image showing reflections of the leaves on the trees trunk from the sun light coming from the right. It also highlights shape and pattern. I held the camera at an upwards angle.

Hurdles
shutter 1/4000 aperture 4.00 iso 800

In Hurdles I am trying to show the Rule of Thirds with the sky and grass lines, distance (far), tone (as in the mood of the image), and pattern of the hurdles. I consider the mood to be open and exilarating. I was driving past this scene when I stopped to take a shot and remember thinking "yes I want to take more". I like the rolling hills with the sun light hitting its peaks, coming from the left (for a change). The different shades of greens and lonely tree in the centre appeal to me with the contrast of the white sheep (who add interest). I like the way there are different bands to the image: A pleasing scene to zoom into is how I would describe it. The sky and parts of distance trees may look abit washed out however, though there is plenty other colour to make up. I held the camera at a slightly downwards angle, because I was higher than the scene, on a hill.


               The Eye Road            

The Eye Road shows Frames within Frames with shape and lines. I like it because it is unusual. The mirror is not really a 'natural' object but the scene that it reflects is so still falls within my theme. It was a very sunny day but because the mirror was behind bush trees in the shade the camera wanted a high iso setting. I quite like the contrast of colours from the darkness of the bush to the sparce sun lit leaves... and their contrast to the maturity of the colour contained in the reflection. I like the way the reflection catches some shadows, sky and cloud with a sprinkling of the nearby overhanging tree. I find its inside detail interesting; different portions separated by lines, lines that lead the eye, and a lit up grassy area. 
Not so keen on the clumsy centre obsticle though which looks like a brick something or other and there appears to be bits on the mirror... Maybe I should have wiped it? They could be dirt, though also may be scratches and I hadn't give that any thought at the time.

 Again I have cropped the image from its original (see below) to highlight the inner frame. If I had taken the shot closer I would have got my own image in its reflection which I did not want.

shutter 1/2700 aperture 4.0 iso 800

The original image is leaf busy, but I love the  mass of russet colour. I do not like the bit of gate at the back however.



     Walk With Me
       
    shutter 1/320 aperture 9.0 iso 200

Walk With Me round the bend to see what is beyond please. I have tried to show Lines To Guide The Eye by this shot of autumns colours.  I like the way it shows the light and shadows....by the sun catching different areas of field. The mood of the image to me is relaxed and calming as that is how I felt when I took it (I was out walking alone).  I think it entices you to wonder round the bend.
 I love the natural colours where the warmth comes in from the russet leaves on the foreground floor and on the tree to the far right of the scene. The background centre tree also shows this red in its lower branches lit by the sun. I like the way this light has showcased the sheep too. Texture can be seen in the brick wall and tufty grass. The way the incoming overhanging branches greet the trees in the centre is friendly. 
All in all I really like this shot but that is probably more to do with the fact that I'm relating it to how I felt when I was there (free and great). It would be better if the leaf colours were more vivid.


Droplets 1
shutter speed 1/2700 aperture 4.0 iso 800

This image shows colour which is more vivid, distance (close) and focus where the background is all out of focus and just a centre branch in focus. I think the picture may have been better if I had tried to have the one branch coming in from the corner instead of the centre. I like the light and love the bright pinks.


Droplets 2
shutter speed 1/640 aperture 5.6 iso 800

There is more space in Droplets 2 and more detail in focus (leaves).  A flower coming in from the right side gives better effect than just one in the middle I think, though the colour is not quite so vivid. With this one I like that the right flower holds morning dew drops. 


Light @ The End Of The Tunnel
Shutter 1/200 Aperture f5.6 iso 200

I have included the  image above as another example of a frame within a frame, a more natural one.  The colours have been enhanced slightly on the above image,  to show texture in the bridge wall and a colourful scene within. The bit that Im not keen on is the telegraph pole but besides that I was pleased with the shot. I also shot from a different angle, but preferred this as it showed a kink in the shape of the archway. I thought of a fisheye lens effect as it appears the scene is coming out at you.


Reflections
shutter 1125 aperture 5.6 iso 200

Reflections in the water struck me here and I liked it for the imersing pattern. To me it looked nearly  equal.  I felt it was a peaceful atmosphere as I photographed the scene, indeed I was the only one  there at the time.   A centre line dividing land from water deviates from the rules, but I though it had effect.  I enhanced the exposure using the enhance button in i-photo, but there is still some shadow darkness to the left where details are not so visible.


Watercolours
shutter 1/125 f8.0 iso 200

In the above image I am thinking back to the rules and the rule of thirds.  I particularly like the subtle colours, and have not altered anything.  The depth of field is interesting to me and  I was looking at the darker bark tree in the background, playing king.  I feel the scene has harmony and with the warmth of the soft foreground,  has the appearance of a painting sort of effect in my opinion.  I am pleased with this one,  though the top right park of the sky looks washed out.

Equipment used for all above images:
*Canon EOS 5D mark II camera with battery
*L series Lens 24-105mm
*SanDisk Extreme CompactFlash Card 8GB


Crop or Not
shutter 1/250 f11.00 iso 200

More vibrant colour contrasts in this image with lines to guide the eye;  from grass lines front to back distant trees;  the foreground tree branches guiding me towards the distinctive sky and cloud patterns;  and the deep shadow horizontal ground line guiding me across from one foreground tree to the other.   Whilst I am not a big fan of taking photographs in the vertical position, and find it more fiddly with the tripod at the moment,  I felt it worked well here and have included it because it is one of the few I have taken using a tripod to date. 
 Equipment used: as above, plus Tripod.

No comments:

Post a Comment